Town Planning: Everything You Need to Know
Town Planning: Its Principles, Importance and How to use 3D Modeling in the Design Process
Have you been to Copenhagen (Denmark)? It’s one of the well-planned cities in the world. A little slice of heaven, if you will. You may be wondering what makes it stand out. The answer is simple: a sophisticated and well-thought-out plan!
Are you an urban planner? Do you yearn to plan and construct a city or town that will make your name go down in history? Well, you’ve made the right choice in reading this article. So, let’s get into it.
Town planning is the organization and design of all the new buildings, roads and highways, and playgrounds in a place. This arrangement is to construct them more attractive and appropriate for the people who live there.
Town Planning image source: valluriorg
Aims & Objectives Of Town Planning:
To establish and encourage healthy surroundings and conditions.
- To make proper use of the land for adequate zoning purposes.
- To ensure smooth development.
To prevent one zone from encroaching on the other.
- To preserve the aesthetics and design of all aspects of the town or city plan.
Principles of Town Planning:
Basic principle of city planning
Importance or Need of Town Planning:
Town planning makes sustainable development growth – making economic, environmental, and social progress for this and future generations. The enlarging urbanization that relocates and remunerative development causes the requirement to manage the urban sprawl. This calls for a well-planned infrastructure and services.
The development plan to protect the whole urban area is conceived to grow our towns. It is necessary to acquire land to develop roads and other public facilities such as parks and gardens, healthcare centers, schools, and the town hall to carry out the development plan. A well-organized expansion provides basic facilities like roads, street lights, drainage, water, healthcare center, playground, schools, etc. If there is no implementation of town planning, it may lead to congested houses, suffocation, no privacy, and many more problems.
Town Planning aspects:
Working on town planning includes various factors. It also leads to numerous benefits. Following are a few points that are some of the essential aspects of town planning.
Important aspects of town planning
1. Well balanced social and economic development:
Due to environmental violations in urban design, developing alternative environmentally acceptable modes of transportation such as passenger ships and ferries is a potential growth strategy. Inadequate maritime connection development stymies the growth of cities and agglomerations. Without organized Maritime traffic, the coastal city's tourist and leisure potential is not realized. Vladivostok's economic and territorial development necessitates the establishment of inter-municipal cooperation and the coordination of territorial interests and development trends.
2. Improvement of the quality of life:
In quality of life, dimensions include security, time and benefits, environmental quality, jobs, health, civic participation, social connectedness, and the cost of living.
3. Responsible administration of resources and environmental protection:
Natural resource and environmental planning use balanced decision-making, considering the natural environment. They merge with the safety of environmental resources and community goals. The community goals comprise improved economic development, enhanced government efficiency, and improving the quality of life.
The urban planning and environmental service program notify your community, based on the state-level planning process, by offering facilities in:
- Land use planning
- Corridor planning and design
- Downtown revitalization
- Environmental management
4. Rational use of land:
The use of land resources should be evaluated from the perspective of multipurpose needs, as specified by land use purpose legal norms. The distraction of a productive land cadaster system notably makes the state control over land use, safety, and poor condition of refreshing soil protection activities on farming land.
In the conditions of the functioning of new forms of economy in agriculture, there is a significant deterioration of the ecological state of lands. Therefore, it is necessary not only for the effective and practical implementation in production but the theoretical and methodical provision of measures for rational use of lands.
To maintain soil fertility and accomplish expanded reproduction, the economy of power resources and the long-term development of agricultural production require the employment of soil protection farming, which is tailored to the economy's specific requirements.
One of the most relevant strategies for regulating land relations in Ukraine must be the protection of agricultural fields.
The main areas of continual land use must be:
- Improving the principles of ecological and landscape land management.
- Efficient use of arable land in agricultural operations through the implementation of evidence-based crop rotation and land order.
- Improving the legal framework for agricultural land protection.
- Improving the ecological condition of agricultural land is a crucial component of increasing the ecological and economic efficiency of potential land resources.
- City and quality of life knowledge are critical for current and future growth.
- Evidence-based knowledge will help with urban planning and policy.
- Urban planning can be guided by pathways from the built environment to subjective well-being.
- Travel, leisure, work, social interactions, residential well-being, emotional responses, and health are developing routes.
- The authors provide urban planning techniques for promoting subjective well-being in cities.
The Concept of Town Planning:
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Especially if it’s as extensive a project as town construction since it directly affects thousands of people and the environment. One must think about the generations to come as well.
Town planning plays a vital role in shaping the natural environment of our lives. Architects leave their social and environmental footprints every time they erect a building. Great places and cities don’t happen by chance. As such, the site of design excellence cannot be over-emphasized in managing the transformation of our cities. Various policies have been positioned at the national, state, city, and local government levels to provide cities with a useful and valuable framework.
The Planning Process:
The whole planning process has been summarized and outlined in the following steps:
Identification and definition of the problem.
Defining the objectives:
To regulate growth, combat the destructive effects of past growth, improve facilities, optimize resource utilization, and provide a comfortable, beautiful, and healthy environment.
Data collection through studies and survey: Identification of trend and direction of growth.
Demographic studies. Analysis of the data collected: In the form of study maps, charts, and graphs.
Forecasting: Demographic projection and forecasting, which is based on migration, industrialization, and urbanization.
Design: Arranging and construct the development plans and widening roads.
Fixing the priorities: Spotting and identifying the priorities based on need and urgency.
Implementation: Timely intervention by suitable and relevant authorities and must satisfy the required obligations.
Review, evaluation and feedback: Follow-up by inspections and report reviews.
Different Types of Plans
1. Structural Plans: A structural plan helps to focus attention on specific aspects of the environment, such as buildings and facilities.
2. Developmental Plans: This is a plan for developing or improving the area under focus. It includes a master plan, a regional plan, a development plan, and a new town development plan.
3. Comprehensive Plan: The comprehensive plan combines the prescription for all aspects of city development. It analyses the economy of the town or city, its demographic features, and the history of its spatial development. This serves as a template to plan on how the city evolves over time.
Why Town Planning?
Are you a city dweller? If so, you won’t be unfamiliar with the problems like overcrowding, traffic congestion, abysmal water quality, unsanitary conditions, noise, dirt and such. Therefore, planning is of paramount importance for a better, safer environment.
The following are some of the main reasons why the need for the town and urban planning arises.
- Rapidly growing populations: The populations of many cities and urban areas are rapidly evolving and will continue to into the future. Hence, the need to review the town’s structure to create a more serene environment for living.
- Demand for more compact cities: There is also increasing demand for a more compact city model. This compact city model is denser, better connected, and walkable, facilitating better access to employment, public transport, entertainment, and other opportunities. It has also been proven that a compact city is both more livable and productive.
- There is an increased focus on creating resilient cities and places that adapt to the effects of a changing climate. The challenge is to ensure that the pressure for development in new and improved infrastructure creates better places and serves as an advantage to existing communities as well as those moving into the area.
- Rapidly changing technology: The villages are transferred into a Global village. Day by day, changing technology improves our cities’ standards of living, work, and enjoyment. It provides new tools to enhance our city’s economic development and makes buildings ‘smarter,’ habitable, and more resilient.
Points considered during town planning:
Points considered during town planning
1. Surveys & Planning:
The survey demonstrates the current situation of the town and stipulates the procedure for its enhancement. It may be noticed that the surveys don’t automatically mean that the work is generally performed by a land surveyor.
Regional survey: Regional survey is conducted on a bigger scale in comparison to the civic survey. The civic and regional survey characteristics and purpose are the same - to explore the area’s physical, social, and economic particulars to be included under the town planning schemes. The exploration was made under regional survey and civic survey.
For regulating the built environment and generating the functional real estate markets, zoning is the most critical planning control tool. It accomplishes this by dividing land within a local authority's statutory area into sections, allowing specific land uses on particular sites to influence the form of towns, cities and facilitate diverse development. Zoning is a short history tool for land-use planning.
As the population grows, we need a housing strategy. Finding an adequate area is likely the most concerning urban housing issue for most city dwellers. Furthermore, housing investment has not kept pace with rising housing demand.
As a result, a systematic strategy to the supply of shelter is urgently required. Because of this, urbanization is unstoppable.
4. Public buildings & Industries:
Today's urban India has significant growth and management concerns. Overcrowding, congestion, insufficient infrastructure, and poor service supply, primarily in terms of drinking water, sanitation, energy, transportation, solid waste management, environmental degradation, and pollution, manifest across geographies.
5. Traffic Management:
For urban traffic control, a variety of traffic management systems have been created over time. There are considerable advantages to utilizing computers to synchronize traffic control in crowded metropolitan networks to balance demand and flow. Other techniques include lane assignment, parking limits, turning bans, one-way street systems, and tidal flow schemes. Pedestrians, cyclists, and the elderly demand extra consideration.
Uses of 3D Modelling in Town Planning:
So, you’ve learned about the basics, aims, and principles of town planning. Hope we didn’t wear you out. Hold on; actually, you’ve come to the most important and exciting part of this article. Keep going.
Nowadays, developing cities face several challenges related to environmental development. Better planning and 3D modeling can solve urban development problems. Good planning gives the decision-making ability related to social, economic, and environmental health programs.
3D modeling helps us to design the urban project, creating the existing model of the city. This model allows us to study the impact of an urban development engagement plan, involve the public and those interested in the city, and review the changes underway.
About 3D modeling:
A 3D design of Las Vegas City 3D designed and Printed.
3D modeling software is commonly used by engineers and architects to create a 3D model of the proposed or existing building. There are many 3D modeling software available that one can use to 3D design the town. If you are a beginner, I would recommend using SelfCAD as you don’t need to have previous experience to use it. There is also an in-built slicer that you can use to slice your designs without switching to a separate software program.
Before starting the actual construction, 3D gives the exact picture of the finished building, as one can see the design in 360 degrees. 3D modeling enhances the speed of construction and solves the designer’s problem before creating an actual issue. This is because errors can easily be identified and corrected before the actual design.
3D modeling also saves on the cost of the materials that could have been wasted in case an error is identified when the construction has already started. After 3D designing the town, you can then use a 3D printer to print it. To sum it all up, we’ve covered all about town planning and how we can execute it efficiently with the help of the most advanced 3D modeling software. Hopefully, you’ve gained enough insight and information to plan a great city like Copenhagen.
In case of doubts and clarifications, please feel free to contact us. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Enjoy powerful modeling, rendering, and 3D printing tools without the steep learning curve.
Need to learn 3D modeling? Get started with interactive tutorials.