Partition Walls: Types, Uses and How to use 3D design to Create Prototypes
A partition wall is a perfect way to divide a room according to your desire. The partition wall can be constructed in any place to achieve several goals such as divide a space into two parts, hide a mess, drive to footfalls, create some privacy from passers-by, or just for decoration.
It comes in different types, based on materials used, for example, bricks, acrylic, cement, glass, fabric, etc. It is the simple and fastest way to modify a room interior with little changes. There are so many benefits of partition walls in residential as well as commercial buildings.
Benefits of Partition Walls
- Divides a large area into many rooms.
- Provides privacy to the occupants from sight and sound.
- The construction of partition walls is light and economical.
- Can easily be constructed in any required space.
By installing a divider, you can split the large areas into small ones. The following are the reasons for a partition wall:
1. Division: A partition wall can carve out rooms from the large space. They also help you to make appropriate use of space.
2. Privacy: If you have a finite space in your house to build a study room or working area, it is better to make use of a temporary divider. It provides privacy while studying during an exam or working on a PC.
3. Interior Design: A partition wall can upgrade your office and home look. You can select several patterns, designs, colors, and materials for divider walls. Interior design with partition walls gives the perfect decoration ideas for contemporary or traditional space.
Where Can We Use a Partition Wall?
The partition wall is used almost everywhere. The partition wall is most commonly used in:
8. Food joints
11. Libraries, etc.
Types of Partition Walls
1. Glass Partition Wall
Glass Partition Wall. image source: Residence site
A glass partition is the most common type of partition wall in commercial centers. It can be constructed by either glass block or glass sheet. In most places, glass blocks are used. Glass blocks are favored over glass sheets.
The construction of a glass partition wall is easy with cement or lime. It is lightweight, easy to construct, cost-effective, and provides privacy and sound insulation. You can easily clean the glass partition using a dry or wet sponge. The glass can break due to pressure or hit.
The different types of glass partition walls:
1. Brick Partition Wall
Brick Partition Wall image source: Houzz
It involves bricks that you can easily join with cement mortar. The condition of the brick partition wall remains as it is after many years. It resists fire as well as water. Even after long use, it does not damage or break.
Under brick partition walls, there are also three categories. Namely:
- Plain Brick Partition Walls
- Reinforced Brick Partition Wall
- Brick Nogging Partition Wall
2. Wooden Partition Wall
Wooden Partition Wall image source: Solid Carpentry
The wooden partition wall is not commonly used as a partition wall. The construction of a wooden partition wall is easy, but it does not provide long-term benefits. Wood is vulnerable to moisture, pests, and insects. Apart from that, the wooden partition wall is not soundproof or fireproof. In recent times, there has been a decrease in the use of wooden partition walls due to their high cost.
3. Metal Partition Wall
Metal Partition Wall. image source: Diydoctor
Metal partition walls require plaster to be joined from both sides. This wall can be manufactured using a vertical channel called studs. The metal partition wall is narrow and long-lived. It is strong, stiff, hard, and fireproof to resist extreme forces or pressure.
4. Acrylic Partition Wall
Acrylic Partition Wall. image source: ArchiExpo
The acrylic partition wall is a modern partition wall. It can be found in different sizes, shapes, and designs. This partition wall can separate a dining space from a study room, drawing room, or bedroom. You can also use these walls in cafés, bars, and restaurants.
5. Asbestos Partition Wall
Asbestos Partition Wall. Image source:Kreatecube on Pinterest
The asbestos partition wall is lightweight and long-lasting. You can fix the asbestos divider using cement adhesive. It is resistant to fire as well as water.
6. Strings Partition Wall
Strings Partition Wall. image source: Happho
If you want to construct a small study room or working area, then use a string to make a partition wall. String wall looks beautiful everywhere and provides privacy while studying or working.
7. Clay Block Partition Wall
Clay Block Partition Wall image source: IndiaMart
The clay block partition wall contains materials such as clay or terracotta. This wall can come in solid or hollow form. The hollow clay block is most commonly used in light partition walls. The manufacturing process of hollow clay block partition walls is similar to structural load-bearing. Hollow clay block partition walls are fire-resistant, rigid, strong, and economical. It is both heatproof and soundproof.
8. Planters Partition Wall
Planters Partition Wall. Image source: Pinterest
Planters divider wall is a contemporary partition wall for bars, homes, and restaurants. They can throw awesome pleasantness and natural look in any place. One of the advantages is that according to your desire, you can choose different types of plants and decorate your room beautifully.
7. Dry Partition Wall
Dry Partition Wall. Image source: GMGdrywall
Another name of drywall is plasterboard or gypsum board. This panel is manufactured from gypsum plaster by pressing the gypsum plaster between two wide sheets of paper. This wall is commonly used for interior walls and partitions. The key features of this wall are lightweight, dry in construction, sound insulator, fire resistance, durability, and economical in construction.
10. Plywood and Fiberboard Partition Wall
Plywood and Fiberboard Partition Wall
Plywood and fiberboard can also be used for constructing partitions. Generally, it is placed vertically from floor to ceiling. Easy in construction, lightweight, but not useful for damp areas.
11. Bison Panel Partitions Wall
Bison Panel Partitions Wall
Bison panel partition walls offer acoustic insulation and are fire-resistant. Additionally, they have a natural resistance to vermin attack, weathering, termite attack, and fungus. Hence, this type of wall is a good choice when splitting areas of residential, commercial, public buildings, or industrial complexes. The thickness of these types of partition walls ranges from 10 mm to 14 mm.
Advantages of bison partition wall:
- Highly resistant to fire.
- Good in soundproofing and termite proofing.
- Resistant to moisture and weather.
- Elegant, economical, and durable.
12. Portable Partition Wall
Fig13: Portable Partition Wall
A portable partition wall is a temporary partition that provides a mobile and foldable partition. It consists of two full panel end members that provide privacy, support, rigidity, and ensure noise reduction. It can easily be stored, allows mobility, and can be folded on wheels.
Portable Partitions walls are most commonly used in:
- Temples, churches, funeral homes, homes, and other places of worship.
- Convention centers and conference halls
- Restaurants, hotels, government or corporate offices
- Libraries, salons, spas, and schools.
13. Wood-Wool Partition Wall
Wood-Wool Partition Wall. Image source: Acoustical surfaces
It contains long tangled wood fibers, coated, non-compact, and constrained simultaneously with cement or plaster. It is good at insulating sound and heat.
14. A.C. Sheet or G.I. Sheet Partition Wall
A.C. Sheet or G.I. Sheet Partition Wall
These partition walls are manufactured by fixing galvanized sheet or asbestos cement sheeting to a steel or wooden frame. It is commonly used for a temporary structure. The construction of this partition wall is fairly rigid, economical, and lightweight.
Requirements of Partition Walls:
- It should allow adequate privacy in the room in such a way that residents feel secure in terms of both sight and sound.
- The material used for the construction of partition walls shall be durable, fairly lightweight, sound insulator, and uniform.
- The wall should resist fungus, heat, and dampness.
- The partition wall must be economical.
- Partition walls are essential to transfer the heavy fixtures and sanitary fittings, for example, a bit of furniture or equipment that is secure in position.
- It must be sufficiently rigid, hence able to oppose the vibration caused by the load.
- Partition walls should accurately hold the structural wall together.
- It should have in-built fire resistance properties, so the wall does not suddenly catch fire due to a sudden short circuit.
- The cross-section of the wall is thin, hence maximum floor area is to be utilized.
- The construction should be easy, simple, cost-effective, and have a good consistency with the building structure.
Different Ideas and Creativity for your Living Room Partition
1. Glass Screen
Glass Screen Partition. Image source: SPF projects
A glass partition is the prettiest way to divide space from floor to ceiling within your living room. Aluminum frames or some other hardware are used to hold this system. The square section of glass is most commonly used.
2. Perfect performance of Natural Light
Perfect Natural Light Room
A partition with an abstract laser-cut pattern is a perfect way to maximize light, while systematically separating the spaces when there is a difference in level between the two areas, which supplementary splits the space within the room.
3. Cordon off an Area with Ropes
Cordon Off Area
In this partition, privacy is not important, and only the bedroom is to be visually split up from the living room beside the unit. It is an innovative idea for decoration purposes.
4. Partition with Screens
Partition with Screens
A wooden partition with a framework consisting of an ornamental design made of strips of wood or metal or buttress screens. It helps to provide privacy within a room while providing the aesthetic of the decor.
5. Wooden Slats
A partition with vertical wooden slats is mostly used for mounting a flat-screen TV. The open space between the slats maintains the open feel.
6. Bookshelf cum Partition
Bookshelf cum Partition
This wall serves the purpose of a bookshelf as well as a partition. Besides, you can also display house picture frames, small models, statues, etc. Be careful not to overload it, or your room will look congested.
7. Other Living Room Partition Ideas
You can be as innovative with your place as you like. We have seen many people use a huge fish tank with live fish as a divider, or a bamboo screen or partitions using cloth murals, a living wall with potted plants, or sliding folding doors.
Advantages of Partition Walls:
1. Distinction: Construction of partition wall accurately shows the different rooms. It can create a study room from the dining room and many other spaces. Apart from that, partition adequately utilizes place. Moreover, you can create different types of space in your home such as dinner, study, reading, or work.
2. Protection: Partition walls can offer protection from rainwater, snow, winds, UV rays, and other environmental condition. The partition walls for the dining room and bedrooms can also offer protection from insects, sound, and fire.
3. Decor: A partition wall can transform your plain area into more pleasing spaces for living. They improve the connection between royalty and richness. Also, you get to choose patterns, materials, and sizes regarding the wall partition.
4. Easy to Clean: The cleaning of the partition wall is very simple and easy. Use liquid soap and water for cleaning. You can also use a dry sponge to clean the metal or asbestos wall divider.
5. Different Materials: In residential buildings and commercial places, brick and concrete wall dividers are the common types of partition walls. Apart from that, you can select the materials like acrylic, metal, clay, glass, asbestos, and others according to your desire.
Using 3D Modeling to Create the Prototype of Partition Wall
With 3D modeling software, you can make the prototype of the partition wall according to your design specification. Before starting the actual construction process, you can use 3D modeling to create the prototype so you can see what the partition wall looks like before the construction process.
You can easily prepare realistic renders of the partition wall using 3D modeling software than when using other 2D programs or traditional methods. In 3D, you can easily make minor and major changes and corrections without wasting time. If there are changes required at the time of construction, you can easily make the changes in design.
Moreover, if you are proficient in 2D drawing, you can draw the structure of the partition wall in 2D, then bringing it to the 3D modeling software like SelfCAD, and then use the various tools of the software to transform the drawing into a 3D model. 3D modeling plays a vital role in creating a 3D partition wall that needs special design. You can prepare the 3D prototype in a 2D program, but it requires a lot of time and work, hence 3D modeling software is used.
Nowadays, many 3D modeling softwares are available in the market but SelfCAD is the best 3D modeling software among them. You can prepare the drawing, scenes, design, prototype, and print the object using its in-built slicer. It is free CAD software. Any regular person can easily use it as no technical skills are required. 3D modeling makes the design of the partition wall more realistic and also guides the development of the final product.
Enjoy powerful modeling, rendering, and 3D printing tools without the steep learning curve.
Need to learn 3D modeling? Get started with interactive tutorials.